I joined Price.com in January 2016 and within 8 months created 4 versions of the app, 2 desktop designs, a Chrome extension design, a Facebook bot design, 2 email designs, and an MVP dashboard design for price analytics.
Furthermore, I architected the catalog system of the back-end, designed the functionality and features of our admin tool, and curated the product inventory plus corresponding lifestyle photos.
Our goal shifted throughout the creation process, starting as "the kayak for shopping" and ending as a multi-channel price comparison tool. The majority of my design iterations relied on the feedback requesting features or taking the features we currently had built and creating a smoother experience with them. The look and feel of our product shifted from personable and friendly "curated" experience, to a focus on technology and price being a tool.
My role for this project was research, prototyping, user testing, and coding the front-end for all mediums. Our app was built using the Ionic framework—an open source mobile SDK for developing native and progressive web apps.
The main feedback during version 2 was that there was too much information that the user had to process before getting to the checkout page. They would get lost navigating in our "advanced" home screen. We boiled down our navigation with clear CTAs, and we cleaned up the visual design to be simple, simple, simple. We also visually upgraded our filter feature.
Version 2 was our biggest shift in product. We refactored the entire app during this process and created the search feature and a better product development project.
With Version 1, Price was simply a browsing shopping experience. We had decided that we would be a discovery tool and thus you can search for products brands by categories. I created the back-end cataloging system for this. Design wise, the horizontal category scroller was created.
Version 0.5 created organized favorites—providing a clear pop-up that announced where products were saved and then organized the products by categories for easier access.
Version 0 of our app was done entirely in Sketch and tested with InVision. This first prototype tested filtering concepts plus we wanted to confirm what users look for when purchasing their products before building out corresponding features.